June 17, 2005

Looney Tunes

Oooh that was SUCH a delicious pun for a title!!! Tunes, meaning music and the such like, and of course the Looney Tunes were a CARTOON!!! (sorry, I'm bored ok?)

Which sets us up perfectly for the recollection of last night's shenanigans: A night of musical entertainment at The Cartoon. You get the pun now? Ok... put down the jawbone...

After a merry jaunt into South Croydon to have my teeth poked, I went back to West Wickham only to run into the highstreet looking for Dave. I couldn't see him, until I heard a mysterious voice floating in the wind, calling my name...

...as it happens, it was the Champion of Chris's calling to me from t'chicken shop. After a perilous journey twixt pavements, I met with he and the stalwart meister Dave, wearing another neo-commie shirt that provided much of a giggle. After some chatter, food and me worrying about the state of my hair (i do it a lot) Jamie arrived and after he tucked in, we set of opn the bus to west Croydon and then on to:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
the Cartoon. Not a made up name. Well probably was at some point but you know... so, while the rest set up shop
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Dave and I went and claimed what we came to christen 'The Brainfreeze' corner:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
and perused the nights schedule
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
As it turned out (look at Thu 16th) Linchpin (aka Lynch us or fagpin) weren't there, and the TBC turned out to be all female rocker chick band Femme Fatale.

When indeed the crowd arrived, Femme Fatale were the first up. And to be quite frank weren't half bad. During there sound test I nicked 30 seconds of one of their songs which anyone is welcome to, though thesound quality is crap and you can vaguely hear me at the 13 second mark. Sort of like Amazon track samples. Admittedly at least 2 of their 6 song set were theEXACT same song (or if they weren't, they were bloody similar) but since most of the songs were pretty good it wasnt too bad. Even if they did stop after each song while a techie fixed their hi-hat, and the vocalist really started to piss me off after a while. Ah well.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Femme Fatale there in all their hardcore (snigger) glory.
After that, we moved up front to catch the main act (in my eyes), in the form of Chris, Chapman and Jamie
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Chapman there, complete with bass
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Jamie and the techie still working on the hi-hat
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Chris and guitar
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And the lot of them.

All in all rating: FANTASTIC. After some minor setbacks in the first song (a broken string and some tuning problems) they moved onto a great rendition of Muse's Hysteria. Each song was great, and my first taste of Brainfreeze shall not be my last. Highlights had to be The Chronicals of Humpty Dumpty, a song that took the nursery rhyme to its ultimate conclusion and seemed to knock Chris out
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
and I Want To See Your Mother In The Bath, which is rather self explanatory. Got some videos if any wants them, though the sound is very dodgy.

After this, the three left the stage and their instruments
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
and allowed Finally Found their slot.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I wasn't really listening to much of it, i was facing some moments of randomness and confusion that kept me up all night for some reason. Still, I left the table long enough to hear their final song, a cover of Stand By Me, which was not good for my state of melancholy.

A good night over all and hopefully one that shall be repeated again.

'chard \m/

2 comments:

Dauve said...

Now that does sound like an interesting evening.

Dan said...

Seems like it was well worth it.