January 31, 2005

The Literary Grapes (of Wrath?)

I've set myself another challenge, again when it comes to books. You may remember the lovely battle Teradud and I had a while back that entailed us being the first to read all the Harry Potter books. Well, having won that, and with Winter-Een-Mas now fully over, I felt it was worth my while setting myself a worthwhile challenge in the literary world. It had to be doable, while still a slight challenge, so until the deadline of 11:59pm June 5 (the second before I turn 17) I have charged myself to read these books:
  1. Princess Diaries 1-6
  2. Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen
  3. All Harry Potter books
  4. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
  5. Gormenghast (Curse you nonnesuch!!!)
Which totals to 21 books in a six month period (if starting at the start of 2005, which i kinda, you know, did).

So far, I have read about 2 thirds of Sabriel, so I need to give myself a hard shove forward, considering the size of the rest of those books. My plan is then to spend the rest of tonight finishing Sabriel, so I have February free to do Lirael and Abhorsen, leaving Harry Potter to March and half of April, LOTR through April and Gormenghast rounding off May and the start of June nicely.

That schedule is rather tight looking at it, but since i get out of school about 2 most days, I have a heck of an afternoon in which to spend reading. It may even curb my internet addiction, which can only be a good thing.

-

Keeping on the theme of literature, I had a bit of a brainstorm earlier (how politicaly incorrect! Apparantly i just made fun of epileptics. Gotta love political correctness...). The results can be presented here, in true Slightly 'chard style (read, big titles and really boring contents.)

'Chard's List of Favourite Literary Characters!!!

Hello, hello and welcome to 'It's a Tree'. So, welcome to my list of favourite fictional literary characters. Exceptions of the form 'he-ain't-from-a-book-you-swizz' will have one of these stylish things next to it ---->*

So, without any further ado:
This guy had to be on the list. You will notice that a lot of the list is in fact the evil characters, but then again, isn't the villain always the best character? And when it comes to evil, this guy has it in spades. I mean, look at the guy! Kill ya soon as look at you! And he's practically the main character!!! He climbs the ranks of nobility through death and destruction, kills most of the characters, then does a Phantom on us. It's like the American Dream all over again! (Well, Bush's) Gotta get that series on DVD. BBC shop here i come!
My second on the list, the One-Winged Angel himself! Anyone who knows me well enough should hardly need this one explained. Seriously gothic dress code, silver hair (anime fans should get that one) small eyes (and again), and what a sword! If it weren't for this guy, I'd have no wish for omnipotency. This guy is Steerpike with elegance, grace, power of a God, and a serious problem when it comes to a state of psychosis. How many other video games have spent you building up your love for one of the characters, (NOTE: If you have so wierd aversion to platelets, no matter how well drawn, look at your own discretion. Don't come crying to me.) only to have the villain do this to 'em? This guy is an evil bugger! Look for him in the upcoming DVD release 'Final Fantasy VII Advent Children', where he thankfully undergoes a serious graphical redux, going from this to this. Drool...
  • Voldemort - Harry Potter (how shite did they make him look?)
Yeh see the pattern emerging? Why do I like this guy? To be honest, he pales in comparison to the above, but his evilness isn't what I like about him, more his sophistication (or percieved sophistication). He's the sort of guy you can imagine sitting in a manor with a glass of wine, in a very Dracula-esque setting. Evil is one thing, evil with eloquence can only be better. Which leads onto:
Getting the idea yet? I like evil. 'nuff said on this guy, had enough films made on him to make Christopher Lee's head spin. Though, that picture is from Vampire Hunter D. Should really watch that someday...
Sorry about the picture, but there was no way in hell Orlando was going up. EDIT: thanks to HALO, you now have Orlando. This one stems not from my love of evil, but my love of the Elves. How cool were these guys? Besides the archery skills and the uber-cool second age swords, these guys just sweated elegance! If I were but taller and thinner... ah well...
  • Lilly Moscovitz - The Princess Diaries
If we're going on characters who border the psychotic, she has to be on the list. THis woman is the most insufferable person I have ever read, and could annoy for England. Yet somehow, she's still a good character. Yeh, so she's from a book for giiiiiiiiiiirls, sue me.
Ok, getting silly now, but this guy was indestructable for Christ's sake!!!

Has anyone noticed how much he looks like Dudley D. Watkins? (he drew for the Beano and the Dandy. I think he actually came up with Desperate Dan...)

So there we go. Better get reading...

Happy Winter Een Mas, and to all a good game!
Fallen Valmar

11 comments:

Dauve said...

Ok, I really must start reading...
Maybe I will one day.

Chard said...

You just read the blog didn't you?

Sarah said...

There you go, I have left a comment.

Sarah said...

There you go, I have left a comment.

Chard said...

Twice...

Sarah said...

And again! Am I not a brilliant girlfriend?

Chard said...

No, the Dual Shock was better...

Dan said...

A good post

By God, you've got a heck of a challenge on your hands!

Chard said...

Already behind schedule. Sabriel isn't over yet... And the library is closed tomorrow, so i can't get Lirael

Jon said...

You'll have to break in!! It's your only option!

Chard said...

I'll have to make sure the guards don't hear my entrance.

Get me 5 cans of Psilence!