May 16, 2004

The Eurovision Song Contest.

The name brings to mind so many image and thoughts. The country uniting as one, to expect many things. These include:

The terrible quality of the song
The technical mishaps (sure Jemini...'technical' problems)
Wogan being completey drunk at the end of the evening
The voting will be the most biased pile of turd in existance

I had managed to avoid all 48 previous Eurovision competitions for various reasons (not yet being born was quite a good one i thought) but yet, last night i found myself to be on a sofa, phone next to me with a piece of card on it with "Ukraine" stamped on it, sitting in a room with several others, watching what was perhaps one of the most interesting moments of television i had seen all year.

Essentially i had accepted the invitation to attend a 'Eurovision Partay' which basically entailed me being assigned a country (Ukraine) along with others, ad then having to give my own score for each countries entry as it came on TV. Admittedly it was much simpler after Spain's entry had shut up, because i then had managed to get the gist of the evening. Now, those who know me know that i am at heart a very cynical and sarcastic person. Which led to my fellows jurors incredulousness when i revealed i hadn't given any country above an 8. Now, those of you who really know me (Duds im looking at you here) would know that my taste in music is dubious, to say the least. Hence more incredulousness from my peers. I then sneak a look at Greece's marks, and see 2 nul points and at least 5 douze points.

Actually on the topic of Greece, i almost managed to kill her. ON Eurovision and all. I believe it went:

Ukraine : "But look, thats so cheesy!"

Greece : "At least he's doing something original (take bite of sandwich)"

Ukraine : "What, singing in key?!"

(Let choking commence)



The rivalry between us was heated during the voting. (Sibling rivalry was nonexistant. I had 200 points before my Bro even got any.) With us both fighting for the top spot, it become tense, until Ukraine was honoured by three countries in a row (no idea which countries. They sang something though, no idea what...) with the full douze points. So victory was assured. And for the Ukrainian victory, i recieved two Terry's Chocolate Oranges (mine, not Terry's.) One was given to my brother as a sympathy vote (3 points snigger) and i gave the other to Greece, for the simple reasons that i had almost killed her, she had come second (i think... maybe third, i dunno) and that my dental state would have meant that my teeth would have disintegrated the moment any of the orange came into contact with my teeth.

Oh, and for the record, Jessica-Ann Jenner, if you read ths, i'd like to know where your theory about the above came from.

Well, that was a fun evening. Loved that Ukrainian entry :D

G'night
Dickybod

Playing: Quake Interactive Fiction (finished it, but meh)
Reading: Left Behind 9 - Desecration
Listening to: Ruslana - Wild Dancers (Ukrainian Entry. Not good without the leather)
Watching: The Reduced Shakespeare Company
Annoyed with: Sacre Charlemagne STILL!!!
Confused about: Why i havent posted the next croo...
Mood: Happy. Bloody tired, got no sleep last night...

No comments: