November 23, 2004

'Wede-' of a '-kind'

Not even sure if that title is grammatically correct, but ho hum.

Drama today was a very, VERY, VERY disturbing lesson. We have begun studying a play by Frank Wedekind (with a V) called Spring Awakening, from this book. Spring Awakening was written ion 1891 and was banned until less than 30 years ago, for very good reasons. The book's characters are all around 14 years old, and are in 'that time of life'. So, of course, they're wildly preoccupied with thought of sex and all accompanying things.

So, today we read through scenes 2, 3, 4 and 5. The good thing about being in a group with very little people is that a lot of reading is done, and (damn am I good) I read in all the scenes but 3, as Moritz, Otto and Melchior respectively. Scene 5 was the great one, since it was just me and the person reading Wendla (again, with a V. Not a welder).

To grasp a little of what went on in this scene, it might be worth clicking on this link:

Dictionary.com definition

Done it? Yup, that thing. I would have found an image to go with it, but considering the sort of stuff that comes up when I'm looking for Final Fantasy images I trust Google even less with this one.

So, anyway. Like a well placed AA sign (to the sketch) I will take you to the point of the post.

-

Ok, maybe not. I started this post last week, and now i shall finish.

-

In Drama today we continued this great Spring Awakening, and I shall now elaborate on the scene. I may soon have a script that i can infringe copyright on to show you better what on about i am going, but for the moment, bear with me.

There are two characters, Wendla and Melchior (as has been said). They are in the woods talking about such innocent things of little consequence. Then, in an attempt to describe to Melchior that there are evil people in the world, she tells him about her friend who's parents beat her with some regularity (this is in the 1800's by the way). However, despite trying to sound appalled and horrified at what her friend suffers, it is obvious that in fact, she rather likes the idea of being beaten, and obviously, for a girl of her coming-of-age years, this has become somewhat of a light sexual fantasy for poor old Wendla.

Melchior of course, being the male he is, doesnt pick up on her subtle flirting, even when she picks up a stick and asks him to beat her. Reluctant at first, poor Melky does what most men do when being pleaded at by a woman: he gives in and hits her with forementioned stick. She complains that he isn't doing it hard enough, until he gives in (evidently getting into it at this point), utters this immortal line :

"You wait, you bitch! I'll thrash the hide off of you!"

And then proceeds to drop the stick, beats (quite frankly) the living shit (sorry dear) out of poor Wendla, then runs off in tears, since he enjoyed it, and is now convinced he's a pervert. What a perv...

So, guess what we had to act out?

-

After this jaunt into pseudo-psado-mapsochism... (yeh, i know. I wrote it.) We were then set the lovely task where by, the girls become the boys, and the boys become the girls. We then had to be our new genders and talk about sex.

Waste of a subject? I think not Teradudley!

Me, being me, was elected to be the slut of our group. The part I was born to play! 'That's my pen, sir' suddenly has WHOLE new meanings!

-

So, onto today. I missed half an hour of Film Studies today, due to a stop off at the orthodontist to have my teeth cause me pain again, but I didn't miss much. We just carried on talking about our ideas of how to make the British Film Industry better than it is. First off, hats of to Chris and/or Jessie for actually being able to read the list, since i was the one that had written it. Anyhoo, in order to make this blog have a list, here are our group's ideas. We were meant to be aiming for 10, but we managed 30. Some are very silly by the way:
  1. More Goverment Funding for the British Film Industry
  2. Cheaper Tickets for British films
  3. More Independant cinemas
  4. Make British Stage Schools free
  5. Film Classes compulsory on the National Curriculum
  6. More free entrances
  7. Arrest people who say Film isn't a real subject
  8. Bomb Hollywood
  9. Steal all 'good' American film ideas
  10. Propaganda!!!
  11. Make Ireland the new Hollywood
  12. Make Louis President
  13. Hire 'cheap' third world labour
  14. Sell England in Hollywood films
  15. Make British films better
  16. Make Film Studies more availiable in school
  17. Cheaper DVD's
  18. Less piracy
  19. Make cinemas show British films
  20. Put all the best talent in Hollywood in a room...with Malyszko...with a gun
  21. Commission Michael Moore to satirise Hollywood
  22. Dedicated terrestrial film channels
  23. More Rom Coms
  24. More breasts*
  25. Better conversions from book to film
  26. If over 80% of cast and crew British, then WE get the cash
  27. Loyalty clauses in British talent contracts
  28. If not Ireland then Gibraltar
  29. Kick out Madonna (but make her pay tax)
  30. Satirise Hollywood

* Disclaimer: This one, surprisingly enough, came from the only female member of our group. We worry as to what Paul has done to that girl...

So yes, some of them very silly. Most of the more ludicrous ones put forward by Jessie. I worry, this was the first pseudo-conversation I'd had with her, and already I'm scared. Only Sarah was faster than that.

-

INTERMISSION PAUSE - Watched Bugsy Malone last night. What a film! Load of random wierdness...

-

At the end of Drama today, I went across to Eden Park station in preperation for my first A-Level trip. This time, to Leicester Square with Malyszko, HWTH, and some other woman to see Denzel Washington in 'The Manchurian Candidate'. We got there with an hour and a half to go before the film started, so me, Louis and Dave went to find some food.

-

INTERMISSION PAUSE II - Went to see 'Cats' on Saturday. Great show.

-

So, fully no-longer-hungryness found, we walked around for a bit, I bought a tie in Switzerland, and then we wandered to the Cinema. Ok, here goes:

DickyBod's Film Review II
The Manchurian Candidate

Let's start with the reviewers favourite device of learning to count; the three words to sum up the film. Mine are : dull, boring, painful, atrocious (Yes i know that's four. It's SATIRE DAMMIT!). The film starts off bad, with an opening credit sequence that just does not fit a conspiracy thriller, more a mindless action film. Heavy rock, big punchy credits over the colours of the US flag. I was stunned. This was never a good omen.

Suffice to say, I didn't like the film. It currently ranks close to Gothika in my list of all time favourite films. And if you read the post on that you'll know how much that means. In fact, I'm not sure I can even be beeswaxed to write a review for this pathetic excuse for a film. I feel I should watch the original version just to see if that was any better (Something I don't doubt. Plan 9 from Outer Space is probably better...). All i can say is, Shaw's mother is a dirty, DIRTY DIRTY WOMAN. THAT'S YOUR SON YOU SICK WOMAN!

-

OK, done. If I can work up the energy to post tomorrow after contact badminton i shall do my second game review. This issue: Killzone.

G'night
Skimbleshanks The Railway Cat

Paper or Plastic?

Playing: Killzone
Reading: Bold's Fold
Listening to: 'The Jellicle Ball' - C@'s
Watching: The Manchurian Candidate
Annoyed with: Hollywood remakes
Confused about: How Jessie's head works
Mood: Tired, complacent
Song currently stuck in head: 'Prologue' - C@'s
Favourite Song of the Minute: 'Prologue' - C@'s

4 comments:

Dauve said...

[sarcasm]No, that's definatly not a waste of a subject[/sarcasm]

Jon said...

Yay! You went back to Switzerland! :D

Chard said...

And shall be doing so again on Saturday.

Got me a nice new tie!

Lewis said...

Plan 9 from Outer Space is the worst film ever released in a cinema. I guarantee it.