October 12, 2005

Descent into the Burrow

Yes indeed, Sunday was the time for our initial strike. Months in the planning, we were finally ready to launch an assault on what we now believed to be the lair of all that is evil, cursed and depraved. We had found the Burrow... and we were going in.

It had begun during a lonely night 2 weeks ago. I lay on a small bed of grass, binoculars in hand, scanning the waters of the Thames. A small unmanned boat drifted lazily in the moonlight, the oars cutting into the water with little noise.I focused the lens, but the boat looked innocent enough. I rolled over and looked up at the stars. Another long night with nothing happening. When would he arrive?

The Judges had been watching this area in the heart of London's Docklands since February. Each night, one of us had sat in this same spot, watching, waiting. The soil under the grass had the imprint of several months worth of people lying on it, which at least made it comfortable. I chewed a piece of grass impatiently, the tang of cellulose and mud filling my mouth with a breathtaking perfume.The stars were so clear that night, the harsh lights of the London streets seeming to dim to allow this show of cosmic beauty. The moon shone with a brilliant radiance, its face reflected in the Thames as a streak of white in the darkness of the waters, the ground around me a dazzling pale blue. It was only 11 o'clock, and I was bored already. Even he wouldn't be bold enough to make a move on a full moon. I began to feel drowsy, the cool late night air filling my lungs and mind with a relaxed feeling more potent than any alcohol. I closed my eyes for just a moment, sleep finally taking it's gentle hold.

I jumped awake with a start. The grass I had been chewing earlier lay on my chin, my own saliva cold against my face. I could hear voices. A couple out for a late night stroll? With the feeling in my gut, nothing romantic was about to happen. I checked the timer on my camera: 0234. I swore inwardly. If I had missed anything... I focused my binoculars, trying to blink my weary eyes into a focus of their own. A motorboat was moored a little way off from the warehouse, the hum of the outboard motor a low rattle in my ears. The voices were obscured, but they weren't coming from the boat. I had to find them.

With a quick glance over my shoulder, I made a low run onto the decking, crouching behind a wall. I looked over the topmost row of bricks down the dock... someone was looking back at me. I reached around the wall, grabbing hold of an arm, and pulled the owner round to my side, the small cutting knife in my hand quickly placed over the throat of the person. I pulled it back when i saw who it was, but i didn't relinquish my grip on his arm. "And just what in the hell d'you think you're doing here?", I whispered forcefully into his face. Dave struggled slightly, before whispering back. "Just taking a walk... nice night for it". It was a feeble excuse. There was only one reason to be on those planks that night. "A walk this late in London for a rat like you? Good to know you keep healthy" I retorted. Not my best, but i was tired, and seeing him there only made me more edgy than I was already. "Aadvarks turning nocturnal these days?". Dave sneered, "Aardvarks are nocturnal anyway, didn't you ever do biology you drama freak?" I twisted him arm nonchalantly. I wasn't in the mood to discuss classroom politics. I looked over him and saw what i feared. Two men, both about 6 foot in height, but with ears to rival the silhouettes of Mickey Mouse and a smeared poster of Batman. Agents.

I let the physics fool go, and he ran off in the direction of Charing Cross. I didn't care if he was eaten, he deserved it. I got out my phone and wrote a hasty text to Jon. Head of the Judges, he would be very interested in this. 'At W.23. OS and OS sighted, will observe. Complication: Slave Dave also present. Recommend?'. Hopefully he'd reply, so i set my phone to Wheesht!, and hled it in my hand as I looked up at the Agents. They were right where we knew they'd be. Warehouse 23. I walked forward, keeping to the shadows, passing Warehouses 18, 19 and 20. I stopped behind 21 as my phone began to flash blue. I flipped it open and read the text. 'Will get SD myself. Get what you can and get out'. Worked for me. I crouched at the corner and listened around the corner. The boat was far enough off for the only sound to distract me from the voices was my own heavy breathing.

I listened intently, hearing the deep, husky voices discussing trivial matters. The Burrow, Bromos, the successful insertion of Plumbius. Old news. I needed something better than this. I heard the voices muffle slightly, along with the loud rattle of the warehouse shutters. They had gone in, and I was still outside. I mentally kicked myself. Another golden oppertunity wasted. I moved to the side of W23. The dank smell of some foul Aardvark plot was wafting out from somewhere, and I needed to go nearer to it. I felt sick as I crouched by an ajar basement window. I ducked back as a light flicked on, and arranged myself by the gap. I waited, and I listened.

With a grim concentration, I heard the voices of Agents Osmosis and Osteoperosis. Two other figures had thier backs to me, though one was quickly introduced by the other, while the simple reactions of the two Agents told me who the other one was. Agent Ozymandias stood, arms behind his back behind the other stranger who sat in an office chair. The other two Agents stood before him, saluted and bowed.

They say when you get anxious the hairs on the back of your neck stand up with a sudden chill of terror. Mine did something similar; they all commited suicide. Panic and fear gripped me, my throat tightened. I sat up and regained my breath, keeping under the level of the voices inside. "Agents, you have returned. I trust Plumbius had a report from The Beast?". The chillingly high voice, the cool and collect calmness of that who fears nothing. Even the Agents feared him."O-of course. Agent Tyler has reported a complete analysis on one under his care. We suspect this individual to be closely linked to the Judges. He was conveniently absent each time Agent Osiris encountered the same Judge. The likelyhood is that was mere coincidence but- " "No. No coincidence." The voice pierced my eardrums again. "Osiris was adamant when she reported to the Beast. The Judge was one of his tutees. I am only pleased she managed to report that before the Judge killed her."

I sat back. I remembered that fight. Back when Otis was just gaining power, he'd take anyone to be an Agent. We managed to first learn of him through this foolishly careless recruitment procedure, when Dave turned to us and informed us. The trial was inconclusive, so he was allowed to live. Something that still galls me whenever I think of it. Osiris was one of the first to join when Otis instigated the O-S system of codenaming. She was, as far as we knew the only female agent there ever was or will be. Otis is like that. I spent the better part of a month tracking her down, learning what I could about the Agents. Each of the Judges shadowed their own Agent. I got too close, and Osiris turned on me. But as far as I knew, i never killed her. But then, Otis never really enjoyed the company of his Agents...

"Preperations for this coming Sunday. Are they complete Osteoperosis?". "Yes Lord, The Burrow expects you, and Agent Lewis is ready for your arrival. His dwelling will be empty, and insertion should be flawless."

I had heard the magic phrase. If my ears still worked after hearing that foul voice, I knew where the Burrow was. I knew how to get there... I sat up, and retraced my steps to the grass embankment and walked off into the night once more.

I trembled with excitement on the first train back in the morning, re-writing the hasty scrawl of my notes. If what i had was to be trusted, I had hit gold. I had found the Burrow...

I had found Otis himself...

(OOC, dave have that as an intro. I'm still working on it, but that can sate you for tonight.)

3 comments:

Dauve said...

I believe you're forgetting Agent Bridgette, although she may be an AOB rather than an AOO.

Dan said...

AOB i say or to put it correctly, AOT. An excellent piece there 'Chard.

Jon said...

Hmmm, yes, I wonder sometimes why we let Dave live as well. :D