April 03, 2004

I was told yesterday by my associate Stompp that I should make longer posts, and so this is my first attempt at doing so for quite a while. I find that to make a post that's interesting and truly thoughtful you have to actually want to do it, rather than just post out of a sense of habit. As such I'm posting in the morning, listening to a great piece of Stompp's music (Which has just shuffled to another one of his. That's rather bizarre) and relaxing a little. Ahhh.

Last night I was laughing with the power to destroy several major cities at Harry Hill's TV Burp (let the next series come soon) and while the ending credits came on, I went downstairs to fix myself a glass of water. No easy task when the floor is dark, and the cats are camouflaged against the carpet. Bear traps in number 29. So anyway, I managed to navigate back into my room when the next program came on. Something entitled The DVD Clinic. It offered a review of Matrix Revolutions and Spirited Away, (both phenomenally good films. If you rent Spirited Away, watch it with the subtitles. The dub is never as good,) so I settled down to watch. It seemed a very simple affair. A cross between The Daily Politics and Film 2004, one man offering a review of the film proper, with two others commenting on the DVD features. However, it was the most clichéd pile of drivel I've ever seen. The three presenters had obviously just come off of Overacter Idol, and the editorial staff had no clue. If you watch it, watch carefully just before an advert. Either that guy can move fast, or there's some shoddy cutting going on. The reviews themselves are good, offering a subjective view, and each of the presenters has something different to give to the discussion. I think. You see, while the three-presenter format has worked in previous review programs (Newsnight Review has 4) it is terribly done here. The three have no chemistry whatsoever, and continuously interrupt each other. In fact, last night, when the female presenter Kate Simpson started to raise a point, the two men brusquely knocked her out of the water by interrupting and cutting her off, and her point was lost. The only chance she gets to shine is in the competition, where you win a prize by guessing what film the two supporting presenters are acting a scene from. Anyway, if you get a chance to watch it I advise you do, just for the horrendous way it's done. It’s appalling; its only saving grace being the fact it is the only true DVD critic show around.

Welcome back, or if you've just joined us, welcome. (From the DVD Clinic. Ouch...)

I find something to be a very curious concept. Love. What is it? After much research and thinking, I've formed a few conclusions on the subject.

1) I think that love as people want or believe it to be doesn’t exist. Love of the nature between two people as a rich intense emotion stopped existing long ago, if it ever existed at all. The only place it exists now is Richard Curtis films.

2) If love does truly exist I believe it cant be something that eventually works. I don’t think that after a while you start to love someone, I believe that you can only love someone if you love him or her from the outset. You won't admit you love that person straight away, indeed it would be a tad forward, but love is a reaction. If you've been in a relationship for a certain time and you only begin to have a nonsexual basis for that relationship after so long that is not love. Yes, Love is affection yes, love is all around us, as the song would tell us; buy love is primarily a sexual feeling. Love is the reaction between two people that give them the desire to produce offspring. Relationships were never meant to happen. Humans aren’t naturally able to stay in a relationship without straying, if not in action then in thought. If Darwin is to be believed we are animal, and are therefore incapable of holding a long-term relationship because we are not meant to. Love is just a way of making sure we make babies. While that’s a very pretentious view, its what I believe.

3) While I content that love, as a sexual basis cannot exist, love in the sense of a deep affection for a person is possible. For example, the relationship that a person may have for his or her fellow people and friends in the sense of serious friendship is possible and a beautiful thing. I’m losing my concentration here, so I’ll stop here.

So, I hope you enjoyed hat. I’m confused, but meh. Lol

DickyBod

Playing: FFX-2
Listening to: Stompp “The Beauty of a Sine Wave”
Watching: Matrix Revolution
Annoyed with: Love
Confused about: Love
Mood: Peaceful

No comments: