February 18, 2006

How to waste a Friday

Some people spend thier Friday's doing many things. Some do chemistry coursework. Some maths. Some wash clothes, iron, go to the bank, eat at Wagamama and go to the theatre. Some, however, decide that use is not needed. That Friday, as the last day of the week (and in this case, the half term week) is a day to be spent doing absolutely nothing of any worth, any use, or any help to the rest of mankind (even those doing Chemistry). Some of us, namely Rob, Jon, Dave and myself (joined momentarily by Tom, and later in the day) are the sort of people who believe this. So, what exactly could we do to 'waste a Friday'?

I awoke at the absolutely disgusting hour of 8 o'clock, and at 8.30 I dragged myself out of bed, aided somewhat by a small cat, who insisted on using my face as a scratching post. After a quick check of the emails and a brushing of the now very wet hair, Jackie turned up and proceeded to makeme chauffuer her places for her amusement. This was a significant day for these lessons of driving, as it marked the first lesson since last July that was entirely in the daylight. I had been hoping, due to the current temperament of the weather, that I would also be able to experience driving around in the rain, something that as yet has not been accomplished. However, despite the usual conditions of England, the past week having rained and the rain dance beats I tapped on the steering wheel at every traffic light, no rain was to be seen. Much of a pity.

At the end of the lesson, we went up to The Crescent rather than my humble abode. After a turn in the road on that hill (which was very interesting, to say the least) I disembarked, did the whole chit chat about things at the end, then walked to Rob's (about 10 yards away). I was obscenely early, but it mattered not as I was able to help move furniture before people arrived. After a while chatting and a cup of tea, we saw the Jon walking towards us clutching two rather full bags. Swiftly deposited and arranged as nessecary, Dave then arrived, clutching a bag of food and drink. However, it had been revealed to Rob and myself that, despite being in possession of a great amount of smoked salmon, we were missing both cream cheese and the requisite bagels. Dave and Rob went to the shops, leaving me and Jon alone to entertain ourselves.

At this point, I must reveal the true nature of this gathering. As you may have noticed, I have been keeping you in careful suspence, unravelling only certain strands of this web of deceit, leading you down paths darker than the darkest alleys. In fact, this very paragraph is only adding to the tantalising stalling, meaning you STILL dont yet know what we were doing (though most who will read this were either there or were invited, so im going to shut up and get on with it).

The day was a day of nothing but videogaming bliss! A room full of consoles and food/drink with the promise on only more of the above for the entire day!!!

So, as I was saying. Jon and I settled down to the first game of the day, in order to pass the time while we waited for the others. It was quite quickly discovered that when it came to Goldeneye, on Automatics, on Stack, I was quite the bit better than Jon. However, he quickly countered this with a round on Super Smash Brothers, in which even Link couldn't defend me (a pattern that would continue). Finally, Dave and Rob returned to us curled up to a game of Perfect Dark, which I sucked royally at. Ah well.

Then the party truly began. The Mario Party 6, to be precise. A 20 round match of that boardgaming and minigaming stack of randomness. As Toad, I was doing damn well. I was 1st for pretty much half the game until I got all my stars stolen, so I ended 3rd (i think). The game actually went on for ages, so much so that it was ripe time to be attacking lunch (the aforementioned bagels).

After lunch, it was pretty much solid fare. The games played were (in no particular order):

Goldeneye
Mario Party 6
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Super Smash Brothers
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Perfect Dark
WCW vs NWO Revenge
Chef's Luv Shack

After all this (at midnight) Jon and Dave left, leaving Matt, Rob and me to play our final game. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Rob and Matt, both seasoned veterans, played on the Gamecube, alternating play between each player after every dungeon, with the challenge of completing the game by 8am (which worked out to 8 hours and 10 minutes solid playing). I played the original (and slightly shitter) version on the N64, which looked a heck of a lot uglier, but served well enough. My own challenge was to get Link to do this:
So, in just about 7 hours I had to make little Linky grow into slightly larger Linky. Even managed it, go me!

We stopped finally at 9am, with Rob and Matt having made it to the second to last dungeon in the game, all rather chuffed and devastatingly tired. After a slight walk back, I got home, checked t'internet, then slept a blissful sleep. And now I shall go and sleep another.

Friday Statistics:
Amount of Games played: 9
Time at Rob's: 23 hours
Time spent playing games: 22 hours
Consoles used: 2 (N64/GC)
Players: 6
Food: Junk, Bagels and Pizza
Drink: 4 litres of Pepsi and about 2 crates of beer
Health value of food: 0%
Sleep: 0 seconds
Pointlessness: Lots
Fun had: Far too much
To be done again?: Definitely

'chard

Playing: What aren't I playing?/ Ocarina of Time
Reading: 'A Feast For Crows' - George RR Martin
Listening to: 'Spit it Out' - Slipknot
Watching: Nothing
Annoyed with: I slept once today already!
Confused about: Where the forst temple is. To GameFAQs
Mood:Gooooood
Song currently stuck in head: None
Favourite Song of the Minute: 'Keine Lust' - Rammstein

2 comments:

Dauve said...

Curse that chemistry coursework!

And all that other homework!

Jon said...

Didn't we play Mario Party 1 at some point?